“S. Andre sive Andreapolis Scotiae Universitas Metropolitana.” (National Library of Scotland MS.20996)
Map of St Andrews in the early 1580s, probably drawn by John Geddy (or Geddes). Geddy was probably born in St Andrews and studied at St Leonard’s College from 1571 to 1574. He worked as amanuensis to George Buchanan, the well-known Scottish historian and poet, and served James VI, probably in a diplomatic capacity.
The three main streets, North Street, Market Street and South Street, may be seen converging upon the (still unruined) Cathedral. St Salvator’s Chapel and the Archbishop’s Castle are clearly visible.