The location of Patrick Hamilton’s trial. The site was used for worship since the 8th century, although work on the cathedral itself was begun in 1160–2 by Bishop Arnold. During the reformation it began a focal point for Protestant dissatisfaction with the Roman Church, and by the 1560s the cathedral was abandoned.
Click here for a 360 degree virtual tour of the modern ruins of the Cathedral.
The video below provides a virtual tour of the cathedral as it stood in the late fourteenth century. (Credit: Open Virtual Worlds / Smart History)